The dose ingested was 12000 IU which 03mg total dose for a 17 lbs that would be 0038mgkg this will not be toxicfor the smallest dog even if heshe ate all the pills. Too Much Vitamin D is Toxic to Dogs. Symptoms of vitamin D poisoning in dogs.
Large doses of vitamin D can be harmful even though there may not be immediate symptoms of toxicity. Too much vitamin D While great in small doses supplementing too much vitamin D can cause kidney failure and even death. They can help calculate whether or not a toxic amount of vitamin D was ingested.
There are two forms of vitamin D. Vitamin D will have the same effect regardless of its amount. It can take as little as a dose of 01 mgkg to cause vitamin D poisoning.
Symptoms of Vitamin A Toxicity. While human beings as well as certain animals have the ability to manufacture Vitamin D from the sun by means of their skin dogs generally get Vitamin D. So vitamin D toxicity results in more calcium being pulled from bones more being absorbed from the diet and less being excreted by the kidneys.
However if there is a sudden huge intake of vitamin D or a high intake over a long time our dogs bodies may not be able to cope. Toxicity less likely in the larger dogs. But for dogs high levels of this vitamin can be toxic.
In a dog with vitamin D poisoning calcium and phosphorous levels rise affecting the kidneys heart gastrointestinal tract and central nervous system. Maple weighed 28kg on entry.